Wednesday 15 February 2012

Cinnamon Vanilla Syrup

Yesterday morning I really wanted to make heart-shaped pancakes for my boys for breakfast. After I planted the seed, I realized we were out of maple syrup, so needed a new plan. I found a recipe for a homemade syrup online and slightly modified it, using ingredients I had on hand and flavours I prefer. The result was amazing! The boys said they loved it as much as real maple syrup! We will definitely be making this one again (but likely stick to pure, local maple syrup for the most part). This recipe beats a bottle of "pancake syrup" found on the shelves at the grocery store. And lucky for you - it's free from high-fructose corn syrup and preservatives! Enjoy!

Cinnamon Vanilla Syrup
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
1. In a med-sz saucepan, melt butter and sugar together. Add buttermilk, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon, and bring to a simmer over med heat, stirring frequently. Once simmering, stir in baking soda (mixture will foam up!). Leave on heat for 15 seconds, then remove and serve warm. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to try this. We're almost out of our real maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete