Monday 5 September 2011

Spent Grain Dog Biscuits

Yup - you read that right! I wasn't sure whether I should post this recipe or not. And I'm still not sure if I will count it towards my 365, but for now, here it is on the blog. I made these biscuits today, following a day of brewing at our house. M made an all grain (versus malt extract) batch, so we needed to find a use for the leftovers. Spent grain is a "byproduct of beer brewing consisting of the residue of malt and grain which remains in the mash-kettle after the mashing and lautering process". It is a good protein source for animals, and we recently heard it can be (happlily) consumed by dogs (For those who don't know, we have 2 golden retrievers). We found this recipe on a homebrew website. Believe it or not, we all tried these after they were baked and they are actually pretty good! I wouldn't eat them as a cookie myself, but the girls have no troubles gobbling them up. We all have to eat, animals included, so here's my healthy take on dog treats (don't even get me started on how to feed your pet in a more healthy fashion....trust me, you don't want to hear THAT rant ;). Enjoy?!



Spent Grain Dog Biscuits
  • 4 cups spent grains
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup peanut butter (I think I might add 1.5 cups next time)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients until well combined. Take a small handful of the mixture and form into a rectangle, roughly 1" x 2" x 1/4", and place on parchment paper. Do this about 40 times, or until all mixture is used up.
3. Bake in preheated over for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn oven temp down to 225 degrees (F). Bake an additional 2 hours, or until biscuits are hard and dry.
4. Store in air-tight bag, serve to your canine friends and watch them ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment