Saturday 3 September 2011

Cranberry and Seed Bars

It's almost back to school time. I am having a hard time believing my baby boy will be starting SK in less than a week. He is growing up so fast. Fortunately for us, I don't have to worry about packing a lunch for him this year (he will be going everyday, half days). But I know many of you will be packing lunches and snacks for your kiddos, so here's a recipe you can use to make your own VERY healthy granola bars. The recipe came from Canadian Family magazine and originally called for goji berries, but we only had cranberries on hand - and they worked! Enjoy!

Cranberry Granola Bars
  • 2 cups oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup ground flax
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup cranberries (or goji berries)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 free range egg
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x9-inch pan. (Original recipe called for 9x4-inch loaf pan, but I am not sure how that would work, since this recipe makes a lot! My 9x9 pan was pretty full!)
2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, sugar, flax, sesame seeds, cranberries, cinnamon, flour and salt. In another bowl, whisk together honey, egg and oil.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into greased pan.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 15 minutes, then cut into bars. ENJOY!

**I'll be honest about this recipe.....I can't say I love these. They are "okay". I made these AS printed in the recipe/magazine. My slight distaste for them could be from the fact that I don't really like honey. Perhaps maple syrup would be a better taste for me?! I also think toasting the sesame seeds might make them taste a bit better. However, one of the boys really enjoys them (the other not as much). After a few, I know I won't want any more of them for a long time.....**

No comments:

Post a Comment