Sunday 4 September 2011

Fresh Tomato Relish

Right now we have tons and tons of tomatoes ready for picking and eating. I wouldn't be lying by saying that there are a good 100 tomatoes outside right now ready, or close to it. We have been enjoying them with every meal, so it's always nice to mix things up. Today I decided to make Hamburger Tacos (recipe to follow), but instead of traditional salsa, I wanted to make a tomato relish to top them with. Here is the recipe I came up with. It's quick to make and VERY fresh tasting! Enjoy!



Fresh Tomato Relish
  • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (I used a variety of roma, yellow taxi and cherry)
  • 2 tbsp diced onion
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • s&p
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
  • splash white wine vinegar (I think my splash was about 1 - 1 1/2 tsp)
  • 1 tsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (too much will give it a pico de gallo taste....you just want a little to add to the fresh taste of the tomatoes...you could use parsley here instead)
1. In a med size bowl, place chopped tomatoes and let sit 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, stir gently, then drain liquid, wait another 5 minutes, and repeat.
2. Gently stir in remaining ingredients. Taste and season according to personal taste buds. Serve and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment