Saturday 14 May 2011

Creme Brulee

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......Creme brulee has got to be one of my favourite desserts. I love to try it at different restaurants and have even been known to skip main course and go straight to the brulee! For my birthday last month, Mike gave me some creme brulee dishes and a torch so that I can make my own. Today I couldn't wait any longer and had to make some. Most recipes online are the same, involving 4 different ingredients. I only have 2 larger dishes and 2 smaller ones, so these are the measurements I used. The result was amazing and simply DELICIOUS!!!! I also noticed that some recipes call for white sugar for the topping (for torching) and some call for brown. I decided to try both to see what we prefer and the vote was unanimous - brown sugar worked and tasted best! I know that creme brulee is not "healthy", especially if you are dieting, but my love for it makes it mandatory to be on this blog. Enjoy!

Creme Brulee
  • 1 1/3 cups table cream
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2-4 tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a microwavable dish, warm cream, sugar and vanilla for 2 minutes in microwave, stirring every 40 seconds.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks until creamy. Pour a little of the warm cream mixture into egg yolks and whisk for about 10 seconds. Add entire yolk mixture to cream mixture and whisk until smooth.
4. Pour mixture between 3-4 ramekins. Set ramekins in baking pan and pour enough hot water in pan to come up 1/2 way on side of ramekins.
5. Place pan with ramekins in oven and bake for about 30 minutes (or until set but slightly jiggly).
6. Remove from oven and place ramekins in a 2nd pan, filled with cold water. Leave in cold water bath for 15-30 minutes, then transfer to fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
7. Right before serving, remove ramekins from fridge and top each evenly with 1/2-1 tbsp brown sugar. Using a torch, melt sugar until golden and crispy. Allow creme brulee to sit for a few minutes before serving. ENJOY!

**If you don't have a torch, you can broil these in your oven for a few minutes (watch closely), for a similar effect.**

No comments:

Post a Comment