Saturday 23 April 2011

Apple Turnovers

I am not a huge fan of buying and/or using pre-made anything from the grocery store (call me a snob, if you will.....it's just a personal thing). But for some reason, I had a package of puff pastry in the freezer that needed to be used up. I had originally planned on making pineapple lemon danishes, with the jam I made earlier this week. However, I ended up using most of that "jam" for the filling of one of the cakes I made today. So my next plan was a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I tweaked the recipe just slightly, but for the most part made it as written. I made the apple turnovers for breakfast today, and honestly, I couldn't eat them fast enough. They were DELICIOUS!!! Go ahead and try them. I am sure you will enjoy them, too!



*note that the recipe for the filling (for the turnovers) makes more than required (it did for me). Don't worry....you can eat the leftover apples with a spoon. That's what we did!*

Apple Turnovers
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 4 apples - peeled, cored, sliced (I used Gala, it called for Granny Smith)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 egg plus 1 1/2 tbsp water (egg wash)
  • sugar for sprinkling
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a saucepan, melt butter over med heat. Add apples to melted butter and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
3. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water until cornstarch is fully dissolved. Slowly pour into apple mixture in pan and stir well. Cook everything for another 1-2 minutes, or until sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
4. Unfold or roll out puff pasty sheets to form a large square (rougly 12" x 12"). Cut each sheet into 4 squares. Whisk together egg and water to create egg wash
5. Spoon apple mixture into the centre of each puff pasty square. Lightly brush 2 edges of each square with egg wash. Fold 2 corners together, forming a triangle. Pinch the edges together with a fork to seal.
6. Brush each folded turnover with egg wash. Sprinkle with a little sugar.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 22-25 minutes, until turnovers are puffed and golden brown.
8. Let cool slightly before diving in. The filling will be very hot! ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!

    Here's a link to the ones I make, which I like because there is very little sugar and it's enough for just 4 (for those of us who have ZERO willpower):

    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/french-apple-turnovers.aspx

    ReplyDelete