Friday 11 March 2011

Sneak Peek....Bread!

Tomorrow's recipe will be an easy white bread, great for beginners. I have been baking bread for a while, but it wasn't until more recently that I perfected the art of baking an airy, loose crumb, and great-tasting loaf. I thought I would share my tips on here, for anyone else who wants to bake bread for themselves.

If you know you will be baking bread the next day, you should start your recipe the night before (about12-16 hours). This is called making a preferment (or sponge). It only takes a few minutes before bed, to make a huge impact on your loaf the next day. Here's an easy to remember "recipe" for a preferment you can use with many bread recipes, including the one I will post (and make) tomorrow:

  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
Whisk all ingredients together, cover with saran wrap, and leave on counter for 12-16 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment