Thursday 10 March 2011

Simple Vanilla Cake

I LOVE to bake! I especially love to bake cakes. I have baked a bazillion cakes in the last year alone, all of which were from scratch. I'm sure this comes as no surprise to most of you, and I imagine you all were wondering when the first cake recipe would appear! Well - here it is!


In the last few years, I have tried many, many cake recipes, some of which were complete failures. But I never gave up on my quest to find a GOOD cake recipe. I was determined to find at least one recipe that was a no-fail, and versatile with different icing choices. This recipe is exactly that. It pairs well with buttercream, cream cheese, marshmallow, etc icings, as well as with fruit! A lot of the time the icing is what makes a cake soooooo good, but you still have to have a yummy cake underneath. I steer clear of boxed cakes mixes; they are unhealthy (broken record - additives and preservatives), and frankly, they don't always taste that great! Plus - once you see how easy this simple recipe is, you will realize you, too, can whip up a cake from scratch in no time. I had a dozen cupcakes in the oven before 8:00 am!!! (It's someone's birthday tomorrow.....shhhhh, don't tell him what I'm baking!)

Simple Vanilla Cake
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (do NOT use margarine!)
  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream sugar and butter together for AT LEAST 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix for another few minutes. Stir in vanilla at the same time.
3. Combine baking powder and flour, then add to butter/egg mixture, and mix (don't mix for too long).
4. Slowly pour in milk and mix until batter is smooth (it should be slightly runny).
5. Pour into greased 9" round pan, 9x9 pan, or muffin pan (this recipe will make 12 cupcakes or one small cake).
6. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes for cake, 20-22 minutes for cupcakes. You can tell when a cake is done by touching it - if your fingerprint remains, it isn't done. If cake springs back, it's done!
7. Let cool before frosting with HOMEMADE icing of your choice!
8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment