Tuesday 15 March 2011

Homemade Apple Sauce

Happy 6 months to my youngest neice! And welcome to the world of solids!

I know this is a pretty simple "recipe", but I thought I'd honour this day w/ a recipe even Avery can enjoy! Making apple sauce is similar to making other baby foods. Here's a quick recipe my big babies can't get enough of!


Apple Sauce
  • 4-5 organic apples
  • 3/4-1 cup water
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1. Peel, core, slice and dice apples. Place cut apples in microwavable bowl (I use a 4-cup pyrex dish).
2. Add enough water to 1/2-way fill bowl, but not cover apples.
3. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute. Apples are done when tender enough to mash with fork.
4. Pour out water and reserve. Using immersion blender, begin to puree apples. Add reserved water as needed, depending on desired consistancy.
5. Finally, stir in cinnamon and enjoy (of course, omit cinnamon on baby's first taste of apples).

*If you want to add in other fruit, fresh berries can be tossed in microwavable dish w/ 2 minutes remaining. Strawberry apple is a big hit in this house.
*I used to store in baby food jars and freeze. They thaw in fridge over night. Warm jar in bowl of hot water and serve when warm. Now I store in mason jars. It will last in the fridge about a week (that's as long as I'd personally chance it), and months in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment