Thursday 24 March 2011

Applesauce Spice Cupcakes

Today's recipe is not at all an original. It comes right from Martha Stewart's Cupcake book (not that I am a fan of Martha, but I picked up the book at the library the other day, looking for new tips and possible recipes). This recipe is a winner and I thought it deserved to be shared! It is delicious, even without icing. I used homemade apple sauce in these (see recipe from March 15th). I topped these with my own maple-cinnamon-cream-cheese icing and they were heavenly!!! Enjoy!

*p.s. Not exactly a healthy recipe.....maybe if you skip the icing and call if a muffin, then perhaps it is?! ;)

Martha Stewart's Applesauce-Spice Cupcakes
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • **1 tsp baking powder (I added this in, it wasn't called for)
  • 3/4 tsp salt (**I omitted, used salted butter instead)
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs, room temp
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
  • (Optional - 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin w/ paper liners.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, bkg powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
3. Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add applesauce, then flour mixture. Stir in pecans by hand, if using.
3. Pour batter into muffin cups, filling 3/4's full (I made 20). Bake for 18-20 minutes, turning half way.
4. Remove from oven and tins and cool on rack. Eat as is or frost and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment