Sunday 20 March 2011

Chili

Even though the temperature is warming up outside, I thought today would be a good day for chili. Some fresh baked bread and a big bowl of chili, is the perfect meal following a late afternoon campfire. There are a million ways to make chili. Everyone likely has their own recipe. Here is mine.....well one of them. I generally make my chili the same way (using what my Dad taught me as my base), but I like to mix things up now and then. Tonight's chili has corn, last time it didn't. Next time I may add pineapple, I may not. Sometimes I throw in diced tomatoes. Feel free to add your favourite ingredients, or follow the recipe exactly. Either way, it will make for one EASY and delicious meal!

Jenno's Chili
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • few shakes Tex Mex seasoning (optional)
  • 1 can brown beans
  • 1 can black beans (drained)
  • 1 can tomato soup
  • 1/2 can unsalted corn kernels (drained)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • few splashes hot sauce (to personal taste)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
1. Brown beef in a skillet. While meat is browning, sprinkle with a little Tex Mex seasoning.
2. In a large pot, pour in all other ingredients. Simmer on low. Add beef when done browning.
3. Let simmer anywhere from 30-90 minutes. Stir occasionaly (or loosely cover) to prevent skimming over.
4. Taste before serving and add any extra spice if needed.
5. (optional) Top with sour cream and cheese (not exactly healthy, but oh so good), and serve with fresh baked bread! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment