Tuesday 8 November 2011

Broccoli and Cashews

For me, the foundation of cooking is inspiration. I love to browse cookbooks and magazines, reading all the different tips and flavour combinations, and of course the recipes. I rarely follow a recipe word for word. I don't know if it's because I NEED to put my spin on it, or if it's a small deviance I've become used to, or perhaps both! I just know that a recipe is not a law. You do not need to abide by it. Instead, let it guide you in a certain direction, then open your imagination (and tastes) and let that guide you off the page. After you make a dish that has your own personal touch, you will have something to be proud about. It's easy to do something that someone else already has, but it is much more rewarding to make it yours. If anything, I hope the readers of this blog use my recipes for their own personal inspiration. That's what cooking is all about! Enjoy!

p.s. this is another veggie recipe INSPIRED from another recipe....

Broccoli and Cashews
  • 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup chopped cashews
  1. Place the broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp. Drain, and arrange broccoli on a serving platter.
  2. While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Mix in the cashews, and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment